Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Countdown to Xmas: 25 Cards, 25 Days - Day NINE

Today, I'm all buttoned up for Day 9!  Haha - I just HAD to say that.  I've been making a lot of red and pink based cards lately, so I thought I'd change it up with this grey card.  But as I started working, I felt it needed a little more pink.  This card requires very few specialty crafting items.  Just some buttons, card stock, glue and twine.  It would be a fun project for kids as well!


Materials:

  • Grey card stock: 4.25"W x 11"H, scored at 5.5" mark
  • White inserts (for the inside of the card): 4"W x 5.25"H
  • White card stock for tree base
  • Buttons in varying sizes and colors (I found mine in the $1 bin at Michael's) 
  • Glue Dots
  • Hole punch
  • Twine


    Directions:
    • Dump all your buttons on the table.  This is totally optional, but oh so much fun!  
    • I wasn't sure how I wanted the card to look, so I sketched a quick tree (i.e. measured an isosceles triangle on some white card stock - initially with a 2.5" base and then I increased it to a 3" base).


    • Ultimately, I decided to start with an all-green tree and gradually replace the green buttons with pink and white until I achieved the final look.

    • Cut out the white triangle / tree base.
    • Glue each button onto the tree base using glue dots.  These work better than liquid glue - super strong, clear and no mess.
    • Attach the tree to the grey card stock
    • Punch holes in all four corners approximately 1/4" from the edges
    • String twine through the holes and tape to the inside of the front flap
    • Cover twine with one of the white card inserts.  Attached the second card insert to the inside of the bottom flap for space to write your message.
    • Ta da!
    This type of project would work for all different occasions: Snowflakes using white buttons.  Hearts for Valentine's Day.  Clovers for St. Patty's Day!  

    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!