Monday, December 1, 2014

Countdown to Xmas: 25 Days, 25 Cards - Day ONE

Hi everyone,

I LOVE Christmas - the music, the shopping, the gift wrapping, the eating, the smells of gingerbread and cinnamon and most of all the family gatherings.  Growing up in MA, I had the pleasure of a White Christmas every now and then (almost every year).  But here in LA, we're ringing in December with rain!  Yay!  We could really use it.

Actually, I love Christmas all year round, not just during the month of the December.  Those who know me know that I have more holiday songs on my iTunes playlist than any other genre.  When our local LA radio station, KOST, starts playing Christmas carols all day long I get giddy.  I find excuses to drive just so I can sing along.  Although lately, I think KOST could add a few more songs to their mix.  I've heard Band Aid's "Do They Know it's Christmas" too many times.  It's a great song... but it plays way too often.

Anyhow, I also love paper crafting.  So this year, I've decided to challenge myself to create 25 cards in 25 days.  I will warn you ahead of time...  some of these cards will be be quick and easy (i.e. I need to post something ASAP) kinds of cards, others will involve more detail and cool techniques.  Depends on how I feel that day.  No guarantees that I will make it through all 25, but it's worth a try.

So here goes... Day 1.  A simple quick and easy card.  I will try to include materials used and links where appropriate.


Materials:

  • Kraft cardstock 4.25"W x 11"H, scored at 5.5" mark
  • White card stock for front card frame and inside panel: 4"W x 5.25"H
  • Patterned paper: 3.75"W x 5"H
  • Maroon paper: 3"W x 2"H
  • Sakura White Gelly Roll Pen
  • Snowflake White Pearl Embellishments (Queen & Co)

Directions:

  • Cut out all the paper and layer each one according to the picture above. 
  • Write "merry christmas" in pencil and then use the white gelly roll pen to make it feel like faux calligraphy.  (Side note: I've always wanted to learn real calligraphy, but I am a lefty and it will take me a while to figure out the best technique for holding a calligraphy pen.  For now, this faux technique works.)
  • Add white stitching to to the red paper
  • Add the white pearls
This card is so easy to make, I was able to crank out four of these in less than an hour.  It was the writing that took a while.  Everything else is SUPER fast.

Happy Day 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!