Sunday, December 14, 2014

Countdown to Xmas: 25 Cards, 25 Days - Day 14

Oh... I'm posting Day 14 just in the nick of time!  I went out to dinner this evening at one of the world's best dumpling houses.  Yes, world's best.  If you've ever been to Din Tai Fung, I'm sure you'd agree with me.  We had a wonderful time catching up with good friends and by the time I got home, I realized I had less than an hour to make a card and post it before the clock strike's midnight.

So here's is today's quick card - I call it the Dumpling Dash card, but it has nothing to do with dumplings.  Instead - it's a Hawaiian-themed card.  I love Hawaii and always wondered what it would be like to celebrate Christmas in Hawaii. "Mele Kalikimaka" means "Merry Christmas" in Hawaiian.


Here's the behind the scenes video:


Materials:
  • White card base: 4.25"W x 11"H, scored at 5.5" mark
  • Kraft Card Stock for the sand
  • Palm Tree stamp
  • Ranger Distress Ink: Pine Needles and Walnut Stain for the tree
  • Prismacolor Colored Pencil in Brown and Aqua
  • Hero Arts Shadow Inks: Tide Pool and Soft Pool
  • Multi-colored embellishments (pink, blue, white)
  • Buttons (My Mind's Eye)
  • Pink Baker's Twine (The Twinery)
  • Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangles dies
  • Simon Says Stamp Stitched Slopes dies
  • The Stamps of Life flipflop2stamp stamps for the waves
Directions:
  • Stamp the Palm Tree onto the white card base using the Pine Needles and Walnut Stain distress inks.  Color the trunk with colored pencil.
  • Stamp the waves at the bottom of the card.  Color in with colored pencil.
  • Cut out the sand mound from the stitched slopes die.
  • Layer the sand on top of the waves.
  • Print the sentiment out on the computer and cut with the stitched rectangles die.
  • Cut a piece of patterned paper to border the white sentiment.  I found some scrap pink paper that felt Hawaiian themed.
  • Layer all the pieces onto the card. 
  • Add buttons to the sand mound.  I added pink twine to the larger button.
  • Add ornaments/embellishments to the tree.
  • Tied Pink Twine on top of the card for additional color.
Here are a few close-up shots:




There you have it!  Mele Kalikimaka!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!