Saturday, December 13, 2014

Countdown to Xmas: 25 Cards, 25 Days - Day 13

It's the "Season of Giving" and today's card is inspired by a gift from one of my neighbors.  We were both coming home from Trader Joe's and started talking about random stuff: work, rain, and then she said, "I'm stocking up." I was thinking to myself -- "hmm... the storm shouldn't be too bad... no need to stock up on milk and water, etc..." but then she said, "Oh no, I'm stocking up on these amazing Dark Chocolate Mint Stars from Trader Joe's."  Apparently, some of the local stores are already sold out.

She generously gave me a box (from her coveted stash) so I could try them.  I tried to say no, but she insisted I take them.  I looked in my grocery bag to see if there was anything she might like: strawberries, bananas, basil, cucumbers... nope.  Nothing.  I not-so-reluctantly accepted the gift and guess what?  She's right!  They're delicious!  Shortbread cookies covered in dark chocolate with mini white nonpareils - super scrumptious!  Today's card is inspired by these cookies and my generous neighbor.

Here is the card:


And, for reference, here are the cookies:



Materials:
Directions:
  • Cut 5 stars out of the the brown paper.
  • Using a white gel pen, add polka dots.  Or should I say, add nonpareils. 
  • Temporarily adhere a piece of the mint green paper to a piece of white paper (not the card base).  This helps ensure the squares/borders line up.  Starting from largest to smallest, start die cutting this paper stack.  I used the two larges Sizzix squares and the two largest Simon Says Stamp squares (alternating between the two).  
  • Once all the frames are cut, separate the pieces of paper and glue them to the white card base alternating between the colors so it looks like the card above.
  • Stamp "yum" down towards the bottom of the center square in Versamark ink and heat emboss with Silver powder.  
  • Place the stars in the center square and use foam adhesive on a fewof the stars to add dimension.
  • Here's a close-up of the stars and embossed "yum" sentiment:
  • But wait, there's more!  I had some extra borders and stars, so I went ahead and made a coordinating thank you card for my neighbor.  Here are the two cards together:

Now, who's going to Trader Joe's to pick up a box of cookies?  Happy munching!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!