Saturday, May 7, 2016

A Washi Tape Birthday Card | Happy National Scrapbook Day

Hi everyone,

Today is my friend Jen's birthday... I call her Chu.  Chu and I met when I was 8 years old. We grew up in a small town in New England.  A few of my friends refer to it as a real-life "Stars Hollow" (a la Gilmore Girls). Now, decades later, we both live in Los Angeles.

Chu is a major pet lover.  She's always had pets for as long as I can remember.  It started with a cat here or there and then a few years ago she added a little puppy to her menagerie. I, on the other hand, am petrified of any furry animals.  Well, animals or any non-human/non-plant living things. However, I am not afraid of cartoon animals (Garfield, My Little Pony, Mickey Mouse) or plush stuffed animals (Mickey, Snoopy) or cute stamp sets!  So... my card today features a little puppy and some happy cute products from Doodlebug Design.


Today is also National Scrapbook Day!  There are so many fun events and challenges happening in honor of National Scrapbook Day.  I entered this card into the Scrapbook.com / Doodlebug Design Washi Challenge.  Check out the other fun stuff they have going on at Scrapbook.com today (including 10% off and a free stamp set with purchase).

Materials:

  • Pink card stock
  • White card stock
  • Doodlebug Design: Under the Sea patterned paper
  • Doodlebug Design: Candy Stripes washi tape
  • Taylored Expressions: Up, Up and Away cutting plate
  • Mama Elephant: Playful Pups stamps and dies
  • Lawn Fawn: Scalloped Rectangle Stackables
  • Copic Markers
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
  • Foam Adhesive
  • Adhesive Tape Runner

Directions via YouTube:

  • You can watch me make this card on my YouTube channel (click here).  I am trying to post more card making process videos, so please subscribe to my channel if you want to see more projects!


Directions:
  • To make your card base, start with a piece of 4.25"W x 11"H pink card stock and fold at the 5.5" mark.
  • Die cut the inside of the card using the scalloped rectangle die and stamp "Yappy Birthday" inside.
  • Stamp the puppy with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink on scrap card stock and color with Copic markers. Die cut the puppy using the coordinating dies.
  • Layer pieces of washi tape on white card stock to form a diagonal striped pattern.  I used pink, orange, green, blue and purple tape for this. Use the Taylored Expressions dies to cut out the balloons.
  • Die cut the full cutting plate from both the patterned paper and white card stock.
  • Layer everything together and use foam adhesive to pop the pink balloon and frame from the card base.  Attach the puppy to the lower corner using foam adhesive.  
Here's a close-up of the card:


Happy Birthday, Chu!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!