Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Card Challenge: Lawnscaping Stars & Stripes

Hi everyone,

Summer is here and that means the 4th of July holiday is right around the corner.  My aunt once lived right near the NY/NJ border.  We could see the Statue of Liberty and the entire NYC skyline from the roof deck of her building.  We used to watch fireworks on the 4th of July.  In Boston, there's a huge celebration on the Esplanade.  My college roommate and I once sat in a Dragon Boat and watched the fireworks from the waterside.  It was super cool!  Decades later, I still like watching the NY and Boston fireworks shows  every July 4th!

I used Lawn Fawn's Scripty Sayings stamps and a star from their Life is Good set to make this card.  I am also entering this into the Lawnscaping Challenge #108.  You can read more about the Lawnscaping Challenge here.


Materials:

  • Lawn Fawn Scripty Sayings Stamps
  • Lawn Fawn Life is Good Stamps (star only)
  • Card Base: 5.5"W x 8.5"H, scored at 4.25" mark
  • Red Cardstock: 5.25"W x 4"H
  • Blue Cardstock: 5.5"W x 4.25"H
  • Watercolor Paper: 5"W x 3.75"H 
  • Distress Inks:
    • Faded Jeans
    • Salty Ocean
    • Barn Door
  • White Embossing Powder
  • Hero Arts Unicorn White Pigment Ink
Directions:
  • Using a pencil, draw light guidelines for the stripes.  Approx. 3/8" apart from each other.
  • Leave a space for the blue section.
  • Mask off the edges and the blue section.
  • Using the white pigment ink, stamp "hello you" and "thank you" in alternating fashion
  • Sprinkle white embossing powder on top and heat set it.
  • Erase the pencil lines.
  • Using Barn Door distress ink, color in the stripes.  I made squiggly lines because I knew I wouldn't be able to watercolor straight lines perfectly.  Haha!
  • Using a combination of Faded Jeans and Salty Ocean distress inks, loosely draw the blue rectangle
  • Once the water colors have dried, stamp the stars with white ink and emboss.  I couldn't fit all 50 stars on the flag... so I only have 39 stars on this flag.  Apologies to those in South Dakota, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii :-)
  • Using foam adhesive, attach the watercolor paper to the red, blue and kraft card base in that order.
Happy Early 4th!


9 comments:

  1. Very cool design idea, if you had the words "I love you" that fit in the stripes that would have been cool too. Excellent idea and great card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tess! Yes, you're right -- "I love you" would make a fun sentiment as well... hmm... maybe I should make a whole collection with different sentiments :-)

      Delete
  2. I adore your take on this challenge! You really excelled with this. What a brilliant idea to use the words in the red stripes. Thank you so much for playing along with Lawnscaping Challenges!! -Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Roxanne! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I had fun with this challenge!

      Delete
  3. Oh my word this is totally awesome!! I am really loving your take on this challenge!! So clever!! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! Appreciate the kind words. Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  4. WELL I THINK THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! SO MUCH SO, I AM SAYING IT IN ALL CAPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, LAUREL! HONORED TO BE AN HONORABLE GNOME!! (had to respond in all caps because I'm super excited!)

      Delete

Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!