Today I'm sharing a fun birthday shaker card that I made for my college roommate, Teresa. Before I left for college, my brother told me one of his friends had a little sister who was starting at MIT too and maybe we'd meet. I remember thinking "sure -- the school is so big, it's doubtful I'll randomly bump into this person."
Fast forward to Day 1. Back then, MIT randomly assigned you to temp housing. You stay in these temp dorm rooms for a week or so before "matching" with your preferred dorm or sorority/fraternity. My temp room was right next door to Teresa's, but at the time I had no idea she was my brother's friend's little sister. We met and went through orientation week together. One day, while sitting in Killian Court, the large spacious lawn in front of MIT's Great Dome, we were eating free popsicles with cheesy jokes on them (it was super hot and humid). We started to share more about our backgrounds. I mentioned I had an older brother who just graduated from Harvard. And she said, "Oh, my sister is a senior at Harvard..." and then we paused, looked at each other and suddenly the light bulbs went off in our heads. We simultaneously screamed "Oh! You're the one my [brother | sister] mentioned!"
Years later, we separately found our way to Los Angeles and reconnected. Now I have a great friend and crafting buddy close by! Teresa is sooo supportive of Bubblegum Paper. In fact, she was my very first YouTube subscriber! Happy Birthday, Teresa. This card is for you:
- Simon Says Stamp: Happy Birthday Circle die
- Simon Says Stamp: Hello, Beautiful stamps
- Simon Says Stamp: Stitched Rectangles
- Simon Says Stamp: Stitched Circles
- Lawn Fawn: Home Sweet Home stamps and dies
- Lawn Fawn: Chit Chat stamps and dies
- Lawn Fawn: Perfectly Plaid paper
- White card base: 4.25"W x 11"H, scored at 5.5" mark
- White card stock
- Aqua card stock
- Clear acetate sheet
- Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
- Copic Markers
- Sizzix Adhesive Sheet
- Taylored Expressions: Metal Shim
- Taylored Expressions: Rainbow Brights sequins
- Wink of Stella Glitter Pen
- Foam Adhesive
- Adhesive Tape Runner
Directions via YouTube:
- Click here to watch me make the card on YouTube:
|Click the image above to watch the video on YouTube|
- Stamps the birds, banner and sentiment on copic-friendly card stock. I'm using Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110lb card stock. Color with copic markers.
- Die cut a window from some white card stock using the stitched rectangle and stitched circle dies.
- Die cut the Happy Birthday Circle from both white and aqua card stock. To make it easier to glue this on the acetate sheet, apply a Sizzix adhesive sheet to the back of the card stock before die cutting. It's a great way to get instant stickers!
- Glue the acetate to the back of the window. Add foam adhesive around the window and the edges of the back of the front panel. Fill with sequins.
- Attached the perfectly plaid paper to the card base and carefully adhere the card base to the front panel. Be careful not to spill the sequins!
- Attach the Happy Birthday die cuts to the front window. I layered a white one on top of the aqua one.
- Add the banners and birds as the finishing touch!
Happy Birthday, Teresa!