Sunday, April 5, 2015

Happy Birthday, Yahz!

Hello everyone,

Today is Easter Sunday and normally I would post an Easter card with directions on how to make it.  But, this year, Easter Sunday happens to fall on April 5th which is also my cousin's birthday.  He's like a little brother to me... so instead, I'm going to post a birthday card that I made just for him.  It comes with a story, of course!



I'm afraid of dogs.  Yes, it's weird.  It's strange, but I am.  Not sure why, not sure when it started, but I've always been afraid of dogs.  As kids, my cousin, who LOVES dogs, used to be my dog alarm.  He would have this sixth sense and could tell when a dog was nearby and warn me with a drawn out "Jiiiieeee" (Jie-Jie means big sister in Chinese, so he affectionately called me "Jie" for short.  And usually, it would be a short "Hi Jie... blah blah blah").  However, whenever a dog was approaching or nearby, his eyes would look away in the distance and he would warn be with a drawn out "Jiiiieeeeee" -- as if prolonging my name would give me a headstart to find cover.

Below is a picture of one of those MANY times where this happened, forever captured on camera.  I'm 9 years old and he's 5 in this photo. In this instant, I'm looking at the photographer (my aunt) all sweet and nice... Yahz, on the other hand, is staring at something in the distance about to say "Jiiiieeeeeee...."  Ten seconds after this picture was taken, a large, unleashed dog was heading straight our way.  I think I tried to climb the tree next to us, but I'm not that nimble and I'm wearing a dress with perfectly polished black Mary Janes.  Me vs. Big Dog was not going to end nicely.  Luckily, I think my uncle saved the day.


That was not the first time this happened, nor will it be the last.  Now, in my adulthood, I'm getting better with dogs... sometimes I can even pet a dog or two (small ones on leashes), but I'm not "cured."  So I will always be grateful to Cousin Yahz for being my ultimate dog radar detector.  In honor of this heroic birthday boy, here's how I made this card that reminds me of those playground moments:

Materials:
  • White card base: 4.25"W x 11"H, scored at 5.5" mark
  • Kraft paper: 4"W x 5.25"H
  • Echo Park dots and stripes mini paper pack for the blue and green polka dot paper
  • My Favorite Things spotlight sentiments stamp ("Happy Birthday")
  • Simon Says Stamp stitched square dies
  • Lawn Fawn "Let's Play" stamp set and dies
  • Copic markers
  • Hero Arts pigment ink in Unicorn White
  • Adhesive tape runner
Directions:
  • Use the "Happy Birthday" stamp from MFT and white ink on the kraft paper.  Let it dry completely before handling.
  • Stamp and color the dog and slide with copic markers, then fussy cut the images, or use the coordinating dies.
  • Cut a square from the center of the kraft cardstock using the stitched square die
  • Also cut two squares from the blue and green polka dot papers.  Cut these two squares at the 1/3 mark (2/3 blue, 1/3 green).
  • Adhere the craft card stock to the white card base, add the polka dot paper in the center square.
  • Glue the slide in the center
  • Attach the dog using foam adhesive for added dimension.

Happy Birthday, Yahz!

Love, 
Jie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your feedback and any fun ideas I should incorporate into my card designs. Or just say hello!